Is your key safe getting stuck due to the cold temperatures affecting areas across the UK? Follow this simple, yet effective step to safely access your key safe.
As winter temperatures drop, we understand that your key safe might face challenges due to freezing conditions. To help you ensure seamless access to your keys, we've got a top tip for safely de-icing your key safe when it's frozen shut – a simple yet efficient method. Please note these methods are only suitable for mechanical devices.
How to De-Ice your Mechanical Key Safe for safe access.
Follow the steps below to safely thaw your mechanical key safe.
Option One - this is the most efficient method, recommended by our technical support team.
- Gather Materials: Prepare a container with warm (not hot) water, ensuring it is comfortably warm and not scalding.
- Pour on the Affected Area: Carefully pour the warm water onto your key safe.
- Wait Patiently: Allow the warm water to work its magic for a few minutes. The heat will help melt the ice without causing harm to the key safe.
- Gently Test the Lock: After waiting, gently try to open your key safe. The warm water should have loosened the ice, making it easier to unlock.
- Dry Thoroughly: Once you've successfully opened the key safe, be sure to dry it thoroughly, inside and out, to prevent future freezing.
- WD-40: Once the majority of the water is removed, spray your WD-40 into all moving parts. This will displace any residual water.
- Clean up: Wipe any excess ensuring your key safe is clean and ready for the next use.
Option Two - if you have no WD-40 to hand.
- Gather Materials: An old tea towel, a container with warm (not hot) water, ensuring it is comfortably warm and not scalding.
- Wrap Warm Towel around the Key Safe: Carefully submerge the towel into warm water, squeeze out any access water leaving the towel damp and warm, wrap around your key safe (ensuring the weather cover is open).
- Wait Patiently: Let the warmth from the towel do its work for a few minutes. The heat will assist in melting the ice without causing any harm to the key safe.
- Gently Test the Lock: After patiently waiting, carefully attempt to open your key safe. The warm water should have loosened the ice, making it easier to unlock.
- Dry Thoroughly: Once you've successfully opened the key safe, ensure thorough drying, both inside and out, to prevent future freezing.
Remember, patience is key, and avoid using excessive force to prevent damage to your key safe.
Please note, refrain from trying to use anything generating excessive heat to thaw your key safe, as it may lead to damage. In general, if an object is too hot to touch, it is unsuitable for use on your key safe. Avoid the use of hot air guns, open flames, or any devices producing excessive heat.
If you encounter any issues or have concerns, feel free to reach out to our customer support team for assistance. You can do this via the following options:
- Live Chat
- Email email@example.com
- Telephone +44 (0) 330 363 0303
Thank you for choosing our products. Stay safe, warm and secure this winter!
The Key Safe Customer Support Team